My Choices: Are They Good, Better, or the Best I Can Do?
Good, better or best?
We face choices every day. Choices in what we eat, when we eat our meals, where to eat, eating on the go or taking time to sit, having a meal or drinks with family and friends or alone. Choices hit us even at the grocery store.
You have your meals planned and you’re heading to the store. You’re in front of the strawberries ready to pick up the berries for a salad you planned for dinner the next night.
AH..... you stop because there are two choices. The berries on sale and some organic berries. What do you do?
While your thoughts pause long enough you realize that you could take an hour out of your day tomorrow morning to pick strawberries. It was always a favorite while a kid and now you can make those memories with your own family.
Oh and another option speaks up while you are still standing in the produce section - you could just stop on the way home and buy some at that farm stand.
Oh, what to do, what to do.......
Is there only one right choice?
Life is so so busy. I have 50,000 things on my to-do list just for today. So my best choice is that I should stay at it, hit the ground running and keep on going until all 50,000 are done.
It will make me feel good to check off 50,000 things.
What will it cost me to do all those things?
- Sunshine - today is gorgeous and I will miss all of it
- Time with my family - one thing I have learned more than anything else is that life is short and I can't get time back with my kiddos or hubby
- Sanity - I'm probably not the nicest person as I fly around in a whirl wind
- Energy - when I finally finish I will collapse in exhaustion going right to bed
- Sleep - I will probably miss some of that or a lot depending on how long it takes me to complete my list
- Another to-do list
What will I gain?
- Time tomorrow because nothing is left to do
- A big sense of accomplishment
- Relief as some of these things have been hanging over my head
What does this have to do with good, better or best?
I make choices that involve my being and affects my well-being.
It affects my mood, my family and their moods, it effects my stress levels, my nutrition, my sleep, my relaxation time. It affects it all.
So for me, today, I will not do 50,000 things, more like 20 or less. Because:
- Sunshine is important to me - more important than to-do's
- Time is priceless - my to-do list will always be with me
- Sanity - I can't take back an unkind word, only apologize for it
- Energy - others deserve my wholeheartedness and I want to give it to them
- Sleep - I will be a better person (see sanity above)
What is your best plan today?