Taco Stuffed Squash & Spanish Cauliflower Rice
Taco Stuffed Summer Squash Boats
Recipe Type: Main Dishes
Sara from Epsom sent the recipe along to me and it was fabulous! Try it with the Spanish Cauliflower Rice below for a Mexican inspired meal.
- 4 medium summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound cooked chicken
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ onion, chopped fine
- ½ green pepper, chopped fine
- 4 ounce can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup scallions or cilantro for topping
- ½ cup salsa
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- On bottom of large baking dish, arrange squash face up.
- In a pan, add chicken, spinach, spices, onion, pepper, tomato sauce, and water, and stir to combine. Simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Fill each squash boat with chicken mixture. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes or until squash is soft.
- Garnish and serve with salsa.
Spanish Cauliflower Rice
Recipe Type: Side Dishes
Kirk from Concord sent me this recipe and it pairs perfectly with the Taco Stuffed Summer Squash Boats.
- 4 cups “riced” cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ medium onion, finely diced
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, diced small
- 1 jalapeno, seeds & membrane removed, minced (or jarred jalapenos)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. When hot, add the onions and jalapeno and sauté until just tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, and cauliflower, and sauté until the cauliflower is just tender, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, salt and pepper. Stir to evenly coat the vegetables and cook for 1 minute or until heated through.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.